Everyone wants to invest in multifamily properties. (Well, almost everyone.) But with the market heating up around the country, great deals are becoming incredibly difficult to find. That’s why we had to bring back one of our most popular guests on the Szikov Podcast, Serge Shukhat.
The last time we talked with Serge back in episode 60, Serge told us how he built up a massive portfolio in just a few years. But if you were impressed then, this show is going to blow you away. Filled with TONS of actionable tips, stories and warnings, this is one episode you are going to want (and need) to listen to over and over again.
Read the Transcript
Click here to read the transcript.
Listen to The Show on iTunes
Click here to listen on iTunes.
Listen to the Podcast Here
Help Us Out!
Help us reach new listeners on iTunes by leaving us a rating and review! It takes just 30 seconds and instructions can be found here. Thanks! We really appreciate it!
In This Episode We Cover:
- How Serge got started in real estate
- What he’s been up to since his last episode
- What value add and value add investors are
- What you need to know about commercial lending
- How he used seller financing for his 32 units
- The 3 components of successfully purchasing multifamily properties
- The ins and outs of cap rate and exit cap rate
- Why Serge does his own property management
- Things to avoid when value add investing
- What exactly submetering is
- Instances when overlooking things may cause problems later on
- Thoughts on using multi-units as vacation rentals
- How to train resident managers and tenants
- The importance of changing your strategy depending on the market
- What you should know about long term 30-year fixed financing
- What secondary markets are — and why Serge likes them
- How to connect with owners and resident managers
- How to keep a competitive advantage
- And SO much more!
Links from the Show
- BP Podcast 060: From 0 to 68 Rental Units in Just Four Years with Serge Shukhat
- BP Podcast 108: Building a $350 Million Real Estate Empire Using the 10X Rule with Grant Cardone
- Szikov Forums
- Stop Obsessing About All Those Damn “Rules” in Your Real Estate Investing (Blog Post)
- BiggerPockets Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Forums
Books Mentioned in this Show
- The Magic of Thinking Big by David J. Schwartz
- Rich Dad Poor Dad by Robert T. Kiyosaki
- Landlording on Auto-Pilot by Mike Butler
- The Real Book of Real Estate by Robert T. Kiyosaki
- The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen Covey
- The ABCs of Real Estate Investing by Ken McElroy
- The E-Myth Revisited by Michael E. Gerber
- The ONE Thing by Gary Keller
- How to Win Friends & Influence People by Dale Carnegie
- “If you want to do a syndication, make sure you find a syndicator that is experienced. It’s all about the sponsor.” ( )
- “Time is not your enemy in real estate, time is your friend.” ( )
- “Be on a location where people want to be.” ( )
- “No matter how successful you are, you got to keep moving forward.” ( )