Why do some people achieve incredible success while most others struggle? Why do some reach their goals while others give up within days of setting them? Why do some people make WAY more money at work while others are stuck in the mailroom for 40 years? Those topics, among many others, are the focus of today’s episode of The Szikov Podcast, where we sit down with Eric Barker, author of the WSJ bestseller Barking Up the Wrong Tree: The Surprising Science Behind Why Everything You Know About Success Is (Mostly) Wrong. Eric spends his life exploring the science and psychology behind what actually makes an individual successful, and today we explore those often-surprising truths as they relate to real estate, business, and all areas of life!
Click here to listen on iTunes.
Listen to the Podcast Here
Watch the Podcast Here
Help Us Out!
Help us reach new listeners on iTunes by leaving us a rating and review! It takes just 30 seconds and instructions can be found here. Thanks! We really appreciate it!
This Show Sponsored By
Check out Freddie Mac, the leader of multi-family financing, they make homeownership and rental housing more accessible and affordable.
Get a quote today by visiting: freddiemac.com/smallloan
Fire Round Sponsor
Check out SimpliSafe Security’s DIY home security systems; an affordable, wireless, cellular, and customizable system that doesn’t require a contract!
Try it today with a discount: simplisafepockets.com
In This Episode We Cover:
- Eric’s background
- What you should know about his book
- How to align yourself with what you’re good at
- The issue of grit
- The “3 Ps” (personal, permanent, and pervasive)
- The secret to forming habits
- How to create external accountability
- A discussion on systems vs. goals
- What you should know about introverts vs. extroverts
- How financial success can serve as a great defense
- Tips for not taking the day for granted
- How to become a super connector
- What makes somebody successful at work
- What “work-life balance” truly means
- The 4 metrics of success
- And SO much more!
Links from the Show
- Szikov Forums
- BiggerPockets’ Low Budget (Youtube Series)
- Szikov Youtube Channel
- Noah Kagan
- Marginal Revolution
- Ryan Holiday
- Tim Urban’s Wait but Why?
- Josh Kaufman
- The Vietnam War
- Icarus Netflix Original
- The Armstrong Lie
- Command and Control
- The Bomb
- Gym Pact App
Books Mentioned in this Show
- Barking Up the Wrong Tree by Eric Barker
- The Miracle Morning by Hal Elrod
- The One Thing by Gary Keller and Jay Papasan
- Deep Work by Carl Newport
- The Personal MBA by Josh Kaufman
- Drive by Dan Pink
- The Hard Thing About Hard Things by Ben Horowitz
- Give and Take by Adam Grant
- “The single most motivating thing is the feeling of progress.” ( )
- “The importance of the habit is consistency.” ( )
- “In the end, it’s generally better to set up systems as opposed to goals.” ( )
- “There is no fear with boredom.” ( )