Everyone knows rental properties can be a great way to build wealth and cash flow. Yet so few people ever take the steps needed to build their portfolio. That’s why we’re excited for you to listen to this week’s episode of The Szikov Podcast! On this show, we sit down with Steve Garner, a North Carolina investor who currently is building and managing a rental portfolio while working a full-time job he loves. You’ll learn several creative methods for finding deals that have worked great for Steve, as well as some of his clever tricks for managing tenants with minimal work!
Click here to listen on iTunes.
Listen to the Podcast Here
Watch the Podcast Here
Help Us Out!
Help us reach new listeners on iTunes by leaving us a rating and review! It takes just 30 seconds and instructions can be found here. Thanks! We really appreciate it!
This Show Sponsored By
A huge thanks as well to our Fire Round sponsor MACK.
MACK Investments is the nation’s longest tenured turnkey operator with over 38 years of combined experience, with its fully vertically integrated operation in the US’s most diverse economy, Chicagoland. With over 2000+ homes under management, we serve over 300+ investors across 11 different countries. Homes are priced below 200 thousand and will generate a guaranteed CAP averaging 9% that can be leveraged to achieve returns in excess of 20%.
Learn more by visiting MACKinvestments.com.
Fire Round Sponsor
Check out SimpliSafe Security’s DIY home security systems; an affordable, wireless, cellular, and customizable system that doesn’t require a contract!
Try it today with a discount: simplisafepockets.com/
In This Episode We Cover:
- How Steve got started in real estate
- How to build courage to get started investing
- Details on his first deal
- Why Brandon and Steve love tenant-proofing their properties
- What “REO” means
- What REIA is
- How he landed his second property using Homepath
- Tips for looking at cash on cash return
- How many deals has Steve done so far
- How he finds deals
- How he handles CapEx
- How to puts money aside for CapEx
- Steve’s 10-unit townhomes
- How he finances his properties
- Thoughts on managing properties
- Why he’s very particular when a tenant’s about to leave
- What his full-time job is
- The importance of screening and having standards for tenants
- And SO much more!
Links from the Show
- Denver Startup Week
- Szikov Jobs
- Carlton Sheets Cassettes
- Szikov Webinar
- Szikov Events
- BP Podcast 004: Commercial Real Estate Investing With Frank Gallinelli
- BP Podcast 186: How to Get Your First Few Properties — Even in a Competitive Market with Dave Meyer
- Szikov Forums
Books Mentioned in this Show
- The Book on Investing with No or Low Money Down by Brandon Turner
- The Book on Rental Property Investing and The Book on Managing Rental by Brandon Turner and Heather Turner
- The Millionaire Real Estate Investor by Gary Keller
- Rich Dad Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki
- Landlording on Auto-Pilot by Mike Butler
- The Success Journey by John C. Maxwell
- The Richest Man in Babylon by George S. Clason
- How to Win Friends & Influence People by Dale Carnegie
- “I am a long-term buy and hold investor so I try to rent-proof my properties.” ( )
- “The time to get credit is when you don’t need it.” ( )
- “There’s so many good tenants out there that you want to make sure you find that good tenant.” ( )
- “Beyond being a continual learner is taking action.” ( )
Connect with Steve